Thursday, October 30, 2008

Birthday celebration times two

Sarah and Zachary just turned 11. Can you believe that? Where did the time go? I can still remember walking up and down the hallway at night with Sarah. She was the clingiest baby! Even as she got older she wanted to follow me everywhere. She truly was my little shadow. Once when she was about two years old, I went out to get the mail and I'll never forget the look on her face when I came back in. She was absolutely horrified that I left without her. She was screaming and crying so much that there wasn't any tears coming from her eyes. You know that dry cry kids do when they are really upset? That was her. And to this day, even at 11 years old, she still wants to tag along everywhere I go. I call her my girl Friday, she's my side kick.

With Sarah taking up so much of my attention when the twins were infants, Zachary quickly figured out that if he wanted any mommy time at all then he was going to have to do it while Sarah was sleeping. So, every single morning until he was around 2 years old, Zachary would get up at 1 o'clock in the morning like ...well...clockwork. He just wanted to be held. He didn't care if I fell asleep while I was holding him, he just wanted that snuggle time. He still craves my attention to this day. At odd moments during the day he will walk up to me and hug me. He will hug and hang on for what feels like hours. I think he's just trying to get that attention he was always content to let Sarah have while they were babies.

We really didn't do much this year for their birthday. In years past, I made huge deals out of those special days, but its hard now trying to plan those super parties, while working the afternoon shift and taking care of the kids. So it feels as though birthday celebrations have been dwindling down to being almost non-existent. This year was no different. I figured we would make a cake and get some ice cream and have a little family party (like we did for Nathan's birthday). But, I didn't have any plans set for a time or day.

On Sunday, Rich went to watch the Steelers game at some friends' house (Vince and Terri). Vince loves Halloween and acts just like a kid during this time. I thought he would get a kick out of seeing the kids in their costumes and since we were trick or treating that night it would help us out as far as getting everyone ready. Rich left first and we were going to tag along behind in my van. When we got there, Terri pulled me aside and said Rich wants me to run to the store and get a cake from the bakery, so I'll be back in a bit.

We ate dinner at their house and the kids got to show off their costumes. Vince got out the candy and let the kids have some. Then he also let the younger boys (Nicholas and Zachary) rough house with him. They rolled on the floor and wrestled. The boys love doing this, but Rich can't do it with them anymore. So, Vince was happy to oblige.

During halftime, we sang happy birthday to Sarah and Zach. We had a good laugh at the candle Terri put on the cake. It was the only one she had and it was something like over the hill, lol. Terri and I dished up the cake and ice cream. Sarah and Zachary opened their cards from Vince and Terri, they got 11 dollars each (since they are 11). While it wasn't a huge party, it was filled with our friends who love us. I realized while we were there, that we have know Terri and Vince since the twins were little babies. So it's cool that we celebrated with them.

2 comments:

~B. said...

Awwww, what great friends!

I swear that I came to read this post the other day but it wasn't here. You must have been editing it or something.

Are you having problems with your comment notification? I'm not getting any emails when I have new comments. :(

Charlene Juliani said...

I never get emails, I don't think I set it up that way. I hope it works for you soon....