Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's been awhile since I've been here...

I didn't realize how long it's been since I've been on here. I took a much needed break (actually it was more like an intervention). As much as I hate posting this, because people might see my husband as some sort of mean controlling person, I'm posting it because I think I need to. A month or so ago, Rich unhooked the computer and took it off of me (he basically grounded me from it). That might seem a little extreme, but it goes without saying that I needed to have it done. I never would have been able to quit getting on the computer on my own. I was turning into a complete Internet junkie!! And I needed an intervention.

I literally, without realizing it most of the time, would spend all day on the computer. It wasn't like I was even doing anything useful with it (like homework, and research), I was just getting on and feeding a fix. It was terrible and my house was disgusting because of it. Not only that but I started to neglect my kids, as much as I'm ashamed to admit it. I hated having to get off the computer long enough to take them to their activities. And it was a struggle dragging myself away long enough to make dinner most nights - I guess I had it realllly bad!!

Once the computer was gone, I think I actually went through withdrawals. How bad is that?! So even though it took something drastic and maybe archaic in some people's opinions, to break me from my habit, I feel it was exactly what I needed. I may not be cured, but I do realize that my life doesn't revolve around the computer anymore. I feel happier about the way things are going in my life, and I really like the new direction it's taking me. Life might not be perfect, but it can be a lot better when you focus on the important things instead of what you're "friends" are doing at any/every second of the day. I feel refreshed and my kids now have a mom that makes dinner (most) nights, and spends more time with them. And my house (and I think Rich would agree) is starting to look nicer too.

So, even though some people might see Rich as some sort of controlling mean husband for taking the computer away - I see him as a very loving, caring man. He realized that I had a major problem and that I wasn't capable of handling it on my own. I'm glad he "intervened" when he did. My life isn't based on the computer anymore and I'm so happy about that.

1 comment:

CynthiaK said...

Welcome back! (to the dark side...wha ha ha ha ha!!!) Kidding.

On a more serious note, I can sympathize with the addiction to the 'net. I too struggle to be online most of the day, not just on the net but also liaising with other moms for organizing purposes, doing actual freelance work, connecting with faraway friends...but it is definitely taking time away from my house and, sadly, sometimes the kids, too.

I think your husband did a good thing and I feel inspired after reading your post to try and pull myself away more. To focus back on "real life" and make the computer the "extra" I get for a little bit of time each day.

Thanks for a virtual kick in the butt!