Thursday, August 05, 2010

My Hat It Has 3 Corners....and Feathers and Pom Poms and Paint

                                                                  
We read the book Zoe's Hats by Sharon Lane Holm.  This book is a simple read and is basically all about different hats, shapes and patterns.  Nathan liked pointing to the different hats.  He is a hat kid....loves his hats.  He has a cowboy hat, a couple of ball caps, a fisherman type hat and a few others.  He loves stealing and wearing Rich's hats too. 

Ever since I saw this book at the library, I've had that song "my hat it has 3 corners...." stuck in my head.  But for the life of me, I couldn't remember how to make one.  I googled it and found a page on TLC's how stuff works site that had a few different hats you can make.  I didn't want to make anything too difficult, so we just made a 3 corner paper hat and a paper plate sun visor.  The sun visor looked really cute and easy, but it ended up being harder than I thought cutting it to the right fit.  It's still a little small for his head - guess I need bigger paper plates.







He had fun, that's all that counts in my book (no pun intended).  He decorated the hats with paint sticks, pom poms, feathers and markers.

We also baked some hat shaped cookies.  I found these cute cookie cutters at the crack cake and candy supply store......See, I told you I was going to be on a first name basis with the store owners, based on how much time (and money) I'd be spending in there.  LOL!







Don't you just love those cowboy hats....too cute, huh? And my favorite decorated one is the Mardi Gras looking one LOL! Ah, so much sugar....so little cookie!


* And for those wondering....these are sugar cookies, I used Wilton's brown icing colors to make the hats brown. 

Linking to A Mommy's Adventures and stART

11 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a good, fun, imaginative mom! Pats on the back to you!

Deb K said...

Hi~Looks like you all had so much fun!!
I am now following you
From Thirsty Thursday!


Hope you will visit me here~
http://debshere.blogspot.com/

Mama Hen said...

This is so great! I am following you from Follow Me Back Tuesday a little late. :) Come visit Mama's Little Chick! Also visit my new blog network and join an amazing group of bloggers! Have a great night!

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com

Brimful Curiosities said...

Love all your hats! We made those pointed newspaper hats all the time as kids. A few years ago, I planned a pirate storytime and wanted to make them, I couldn't remember how to make them either! We made wrapping paper high-tea hats at my daughter's birthday party and all her friends LOVED them.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

What a great and kid friendly idea! Economical too!

Emmy said...

Cute! I don't go into stores like that as I know I would have no self control :)

Lady Muck said...

Hi... I've been really enjoying looking around your site. So many fantastic ideas for crafts with the kids. The way you incorporate your creativity into parenting is so inspiring. Love your blog!

My Wee View said...

following through Fun Follow Friday! Thanks for participating.

those look delicious.

Lynette
xo

http://myweeview.com

Unknown said...

I love the book and the hats. The cookies look wonderful.

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb….I am from TTA. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. I also would love for you to be a new Fan of my Facebook page too & click “LIKE” in the upper right hand corner of my blog & you’ve done it..Thanks so much! I am just starting at Facebook. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Jackie Higgins said...

oooh, my little guy loves the hats. Will have to try this!