Thursday, January 06, 2011

My New Favorite Thing - Love it!

I stumbled across a really awesome site....basically, you get to read children's books for free online and they send brand new books to charities across the world.  The website is called We Give Books - Read A Book, Give A Book.  Some of the charities that benefit from this wonderful program are Hope For Haiti, Harlem's Children Zone and Jumpstart for Children (which helps benefit preschool classrooms across America). 

We Give Books was created by Penguin Group and the Pearson Foundation.  All you need to do is sign up for free, pick a charity you wish to support and read books to your children.  We Give Books then sends books to that organization.   How awesome is that?!  For more info you can read their About Us or FAQ page.

We Give Books has a pretty extensive selection of books to read.  You can chose to read books for a particular organization or search by author or age.  Either way you chose, you still help put books in children's hands that may not of had the chance to have new books, if not for this program.  Anyone with internet access can read a book and help give a book.  If you love reading to your child/ren, check out this site.

Just thought it would be fun to share this site with my readers.  It's my new favorite thing and it may end up being your's too.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Thank you for sharing. What a great thing. Children and books should be a natural thing all over the world.

1 Funky Woman said...

This is so cool! We are huge readers in our house but realizing our bookshelves are getting too full! I love that they give books to Charities, what a wonderful thing!

I'm off to check it out, thanks!

New follower from Bloggy Moms. Hope you can stop on by at http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

Megan

Krajcimama said...

Yay! What a cool site! My daughter and I read 3 books this morning and I think that we will work it into our morning routine! :)

Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to add a link to this post on my post today to help spread the word!

The Mrs. said...

AWESOME! Thanks SO much for sharing! We've already read our 1st book! Who knew Dean Koontz did children's books?? Because I did not. Anyways, I will be spreading this like wildfire...already shared on FB. Thanks, again!

-Alisha

Jackie Higgins said...

I love wegivebooks. I love that they have such current titles!